Re: lynx-dev lynx compilation ... the last question :-)

From: James Elkinton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx compilation ... the last question :-)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 02:19:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Philip Webb wrote:

> 000920 James Elkinton wrote:

> > One thing I've always thought might be really helpful is when a page
> > defined in STARTFILE cannot be accessed, instead of terminating, to
> > go to an included html page in the distribution saying something to
> > the effect of:
> > "The page defined in STARTFILE cannot be accessed.  You may wish to
> > check the URL in the STARTFILE definition line of lynx.cfg and change
> > it. You may also at this time press 'g' to enter a URL to go to."
> > Of course, it might be a concern if the keymap is changed, plus there
> > would have to be multiple language versions, but just the idea might
> > be implementable in a way I haven't thought of. Just as long as
> > almost ANYTHING but termination of the browser can be done, that's an
> > improvement.
>
> there was a discussion about this very point a couple of years ago,
> when i made the same suggestion you have just made, with more detailed
> wording & options, but unfortunately no-one was willing to do the
> necessary programming. you can look it up in the Archive.

Perhaps now, years later, someone with the abilities will see this
and be inspired? :)

When the page can't be accessed, it puts up the alert for the appropriate
number of seconds, then aborts.  So, one thing I can think of if an
included page isn't desirable, then whatever handles the decision to
terminate the program should instead go to the code that is run when the
user presses the goto key (usually 'g').  The case for cancelling the
action can then be termination as usual, perhaps.

I am in the perfect frame of mind to program something like this (ever so
slight sleep-dep effects), but no useful knowledge of C. :(

Another idea would be to include a lynx_bookmarks.html with a couple
useful things already in it, and make the bookmark file the default
startpage as well as the fallback when a user-altered startpage fails
(in other words, on startpage failure, run the '(v)iew bookmarks'
command.)

Again, anything but termination.