Re: lynx-dev Newbie Installation problem (2.8.3)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Newbie Installation problem (2.8.3)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 06:51:07 -0400

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 02:11:50AM -0400, Lawrence Kwan wrote:
> I am learning how to do a local install of 2.8.3 in my ISP's shell account
> (under my home directory ~/lynx; the shell server runs NetBSD).  But I am
> running into problems early on with configure exiting on errors.  I am
> hoping someone can point out the mistakes I am making.
>
> I have followed the "INSTALLATION" advice and tried this:
>
> ./configure --prefix=~/lynx --exec-prefix=~/lynx
>
> Here's the screen output:
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking host system type... i386-unknown-netbsd1.5.
> Configuring for netbsd1.5.
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking for __argz_count... no
> checking for __argz_stringify... no
> checking for __argz_next... no
> checking for stpcpy... no
> checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
> checking whether NLS is requested... no
> configure: error: expected a pathname

I don't see the immediate problem in the config.log; what I would do would
be to edit configure to add a "set -x" on the second line, redirect the
output (with stderr), to a file and look for the particular error message
that you're seeing.  Most likely it is a place where a variable is used
without quoting where it should (or else something in your environment
is confusing one of the tests in the same way).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com