Re: lynx-dev Bad html documents

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bad html documents
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 08:24:46 -0400

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 11:13:14AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> Whilst I know that commercial sites don't care about such things,
> you could point out that, something like this (untested), will
> work for everyone:
>
> <a
> onclick="openwin('http://www.foo.bar/mydocument.html'); return false;"
> href="http://www.foo.bar/mydocument.html";>
> My Document</a>

I don't know very much about Javascript, so maybe you can answer this
for me:  How does the onclick part of the above give any advantage for
either the web page author or the person viewing it with a Javascript-
enabled browser?  How would it act any different from just leaving the
onclick part out altogether?  I've never understood the reasoning
behind using Javascript for something that's already built into HTML.

Chuck