Re: lynx-dev Bad html documents

From: Shane Wegner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bad html documents
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:22:10 -0700

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 11:13:14AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> > <a
> > href="openwin('http://www.foo.bar/mydocument.html')">Click
> > here</a>
>
> It would have a javascript: scheme, and almost certainly
> either say something like 27, so that a big case statement
> in a different part of the code can actually decide what to
> really load.
>
> Whilst I know that commercial sites don't care about such things,
> you could point out that, something like this (untested), will
> work for everyone:
>
> <a
> onclick="openwin('http://www.foo.bar/mydocument.html'); return false;"
> href="http://www.foo.bar/mydocument.html";>
> My Document</a>

Yeah, my example was only meant to demonstrate the problem.
Your example does look a bit more like what you'd see.
Unfortunately, convincing the web to do something like this
is fairly unlikely.

A better example is that at <http://www.efax.com/login>.
According to lynx there is no form action field, and
rightly so.  It's actually embeded in some java.

It'd just be nice to be able to fix it up quickly and
submit the forms.  Downloading the form and fixing it works
but only in the case where relative links aren't being used
and the CGI doesn't look at REFERER.

Shane

--
Shane Wegner: address@hidden