Re: lynx-dev Lynx on Dos

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx on Dos
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:48:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Bob Izenberg wrote:

> The message below from "Smith, Tim"
> <address@hidden> was forwarded
> by the list moderator.
>
> >I am trying to get Lynx to run on plain MS-DOS ver. 6.22.  I have tried to
> >load with the NULLPKT driver and get the error "Start file could not be
> >found or is not text/html or text/plain.  Exiting..."
> >
> >My PC is running the Microsoft DOS TCPIP client.  How do I get this thing up
> >and running.  I haven't been able to find documenation on how to set Lynx
> >up?

I am not sure that I understand your setup, or what you are trying to
do. The DOS port off lynx requires a packet driver. Nullpkt is used
when you don't actually connect with anything, but just want to browse
your own hard disk (i.e. file://localhost/path_to_file). I am not
very familiar with the Microsoft DOS TCPIP client. Are you connected
over a network? If so you need a packet driver that interacts with
your network card or one that runs on top of your network software.
If you are trying to run on a network over the TCPIP client and
don't know which packet driver to use, you might try the doslynx-dev
mailing list, since someone there might have experience with that.
"SUBSCRIBE DOSLYNX-DEV Your Name" in the body.

The error message about the start file may mean that you have a
remote start file specified, but your network connection isn't
working properly. Try a local startfile first. You could use, for
example, your C: root directory. In lynx.cfg set STARTFILE to
"file://localhost/c:/", or whatever local file you wish.

Are you using the binary from my web site? If so, did you find the
README.DOS file confusing, and if so, in what way? Any suggestions for
improving the file are appreciated. The LYNXBAT.BAT file shows how to
set up lynx over a dialup connection. You should be able to modify
it for a network. The LYNXLOCL.BAT file shows how to use nullpkt.
If you are using a binary from somewhere else, try looking at the
documentation in the package from my site, and see if this helps with
the setup.
"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/index.html"; or
"ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman";
                          Doug