Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 20:40:32 -0400

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 05:24:06PM -0700, Matt Ackeret wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 04:28:37PM -0700, Matt Ackeret wrote:
> >>
> >> I sure hope *someone* adds some JavaScript capability to a text mode
> >> browser.
> >
> >there's two aspects: making some limited JavaScript capability that can
> >generate fragments of html (document.write calls) and interaction
> >(handling mouse events).  I don't think anyone's going to spend a lot
> >of time on the latter.
>
> Note I said "a text mode browser", not necessarily Lynx..  (i.e. I suspect
> it's slightly likelier to happen in links).

I don't know why any one (of the current programs that we discuss) would
be any more likely, since afaik none of them are organized as an event-driven
program.  (just reading links now, there are some rather fuzzy ideas implied
in the code - perhaps it could be evolved there after some effort, though I
have a hunch it'll never get that far: no documentation, too much hardcoded
stuff).

> Plus, I can imagine handling "mouse" events using something like lynx's
> (or links') current link navigation.. when you move onto a link it does
> the 'mouseover' thing, and when you hit return on a link, it does the
> onclick part.

yes - I can too, but it would take a bit of restructuring to change things
from the keystroke orientation of lynx to make the needed functions really
available for use in that sort of environment.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com