Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:
>concerned about Lynx.  People who care about Lynx don't lie about what
>browser they are using.  They use Lynx with pride, and are not intimidated.

Sorry for bringing this even further off topic since this list should
be about *developing* lynx, but you are being presumptuous trying to put
words into the mouths of people who use Lynx.

Lynx is the browser I use most from home (as I've said before, I use iCab when
at work, but also use lynx).  However, to use some sites, I *must* modify
the user agent string.

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; really Lynx)" is the useragent I use in
an alias I have called "lynxnet".  I use that when the standard useragent
doesn't work, such as for my bank and stock sites.

>Somewhere down the line we all have to make a decision.  Is the site really
>so important that we fire up MSIE or Navigator, do we spend the time to
>figure out what the javascript is doing, or do we look for an alternate
>site that bothers to support a text browser in the first place?

Well, *I* never spend the time to figure out what the javascript is doing.
I often avoid javascript heavy sites, or do use a GUI browser for them.
But I do wish that a text browser at some point would support javascript.
It seems to me that if I can use javascript sites in a GUI browser with
graphics turned off (which I can), it is feasible to get at least a majority
of real world javascript uses to work in a text brower.

We just have to find someone with more ambition than me to implement it.. heh.