Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Fiber McGee
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:11:58 -0500

The message below from David Combs
<address@hidden> was forwarded
by the list moderator.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 11:18:53AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > >or use a commercial browser for commercial sites.
> [...]
> > Also, why should everyone else be forced to use a commercial browser? What if
>
> The point is that the "commercial sites" are the ones that are attempting
> to force people to use a "commercial browser."
>
> I think this thread started with a report based on a falsified agent string.
> If someone goes and willfully changes the agent string to report Mozilla or

Hey, guys, a couple of years ago, on this lynx-dev list,
someone suggested setting the agent string to Mozilla,
and others agreed, so I did it, and haven't changed it
since.

Does anyone recall WHY that was a reasonable thing
to do back at that time?

Any reasons TODAY to keep doing it?

What is the "politically correct" thing TO say in
that string?   (As usual, am using someone else's
binary, in shell acct on panix).

I do recall some discussion about pros and cons of one
thing vs another, but it was so long ago I forget.

(Maybe I'll do some egrepping of old saved lynx-dev
msgs (I save "interesting" ones)).

But -- anyone recall (or, anyone figure out?)

David