Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:47:17 -0400

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 01:11:58AM -0500, Fiber McGee wrote:

> >Hey, guys, a couple of years ago, on this lynx-dev list,
> >someone suggested setting the agent string to Mozilla,
> >and others agreed, so I did it, and haven't changed it
> >since.
> >
> >Does anyone recall WHY that was a reasonable thing
> >to do back at that time?

as I understand it, some sites have hardcoded tests for the agent string
to determine if they respond with usable pages.

> >Any reasons TODAY to keep doing it?

I don't use any of those sites, so I wouldn't know.

> >What is the "politically correct" thing TO say in
> >that string?   (As usual, am using someone else's
> >binary, in shell acct on panix).

there apparently is none (the people who insist on using that style of
page resent attempts by other people to bypass it - I see frequent news
postings in that vein).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com