Re: lynx-dev bytes sec?

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bytes sec?
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:20:39 -0400

I don't experience problems with the byte counter because I don't
have any automatic echo from Vocal-Eyes.  Instead, I set up a
hyperactive window which triggers the reading of the status line only
when the first 4 characters of that line change.  I would suggest
first finding that option in the Lynx.cfg and see if it quiets things
down sufficiently.  If it doesn't, you could, with most screen
readers, define a portion of the status line which is to be silent
rather than read.  You could still read it on demand; it just
wouldn't be read automatically every time it changes.

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:53:19 +0400, karen lewellen wrote:

>hi everyone,
>i have been tring to figure how to ask about this.  I am hoping that others
>who use screen readers will understand what i mean.  so here goes.
>i havenoteced on sites that have lynx as a part of their offerings, that the
>"bytes of data" count is faster.  i do not know how this looks on the
>screen, but for me, as a page is downloaded for viewing the bytes ofdata are
>given, ending with a "data transfer complete" message.  i amnot talking
>about when i am taking a file down, but visiting a site online.
>in my personal setup of lynx, however, i get some additional information
>which slows down the process considerably.  as each amount of data is read,
>i get a factor of "bytes /sec."  i have visited a couple of different
>services who include lynx, both are using different compiles, one lynx 5 and
>the other lynx7 but both do not have this problem.  the bytes of data are
>given but count up without the bytes /sec, i am guessed "secured?"  added.
>if there is something in the configuration which removes this factor, can
>someone clue me in?    and if i have lost everyone, then if someone who uses
>a screen reader will write off list, i'll try to explain better.  granted, i
>am using dos on my system, but as both of these services have the problem
>solved, and are not necessarily platform specific, this should make little
>difference.  the two sites i visited are world.std.com, and delphi.com both
>visited via telnet, not using lynx, and both having lynx as a part of their
>offerings.
>thanks,
>
>Make your own kind of music!
>Karen Lewellen, address@hidden