lynx-dev new directions (was unable to open)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev new directions (was unable to open)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:07:16 -0400

001026 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Philip Webb wrote:
>> welcome back!  your intimidating presence is always missed (smile)!
> Heh, I never noticed that I intimidated you :)
> Thwack!  Back into your corner, Philip!

i'll be happy to watch from my usual corner in the stands
while you show us all how to make Lynx JS-capable ... (big smile)

>> was it not the case at one time that Lynx didn't uncompress automatically?
>> wasn't it added, possibly later than 2-8 ?
> No, it always did uncompress .gz and .Z as long as I have been involved.
> Certainly since long before 2-8.
> There were some changes around 2.7.1 ..->.. 2-8
> regarding *the way* uncompressing was done, at least for .gz
> - namely by using zlib directly rather than invoking "gzip" internally.
> (But even that applies only to some cases
> - external "gzip" is still needed in other cases.)

ok, neither of us cares to look thro' the Archive:
i'm currently trying to get my new Linux to establish a PPP connection
so i can use Lynx from my desktop a/a the CHASS IRIX machine
(during your absence i built myself an upto-date PC from parts).