Re: lynx-dev local download over telnet

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local download over telnet
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 03:08:13PM -0700, Matt Ackeret wrote:
> > >
> > >I haven't tried kermit - zmodem is what I was thinking about when I noted
> > >that it may not work over telnet (I've _not_ seen it work for downloading
> > >files).
> >
> > I believe you have to use rlogin -8 to be able to download like this
>
> I know about that, but that didn't help.  This is to more than one target
> system, starting from a direct dial-in port.

It certainly seems that kermit is the more robust protocol. Zmodem may
be faster on clean 8 bit connections. Both protocols suffer, however,
from buggy implementations, which may make it seem that the protocol
is ineffective. For zmodem over telnet, you may want to use the "-e"
option, which escapes all control characters. Most DOS implementations
that I have seen other than those by Chuck Forsberg of Omen Technology
seem broken. I would make sure that I was using dsz/gsz/zcomm/pro-YAM
on the DOS side before deciding that zmodem itself doesn't work over
telnet. Modern versions of kermit seem as fast as zmodem over clean
connections when properly configured, but can almost always be made
to transmit the data accurately even over very poor connections.
DOS/Windows implementations of kermit seem even worse. Kermit versions
from the kermit project should be used if you want to evaluate kermit.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden