Re: lynx-dev Newbie help on compile please...

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Newbie help on compile please...
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:01:46 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Paul Casey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the lynx version 2-8-3 and I'm not sure how to compile it.
> I'm running NT 4.0 SP 6 on an Intel platform.  I obtained zlib.h and
> zlib.dll from the zlib distribution and copied then into the lib
> folder.  (The zlib.lib is dated 12 July, 1998 and is 34674 bytes.)  I
> also got the pdcurses.h and pdcurses.lib and placed them in the lib

you probably should compile both zlib and pdcurses, because iirc, zlib
is not by default compiled for multi-threaded applications.  I just
checked my log and see that zlib 1.1.3 did build out-of-the-box with
the _MT symbol, so probably all you have to do is compile your own.

> folder.  I am then running make-msc.  I have MS Visual C++ Version 6.0
> and get the following error:
>
> F:\lynx2.8.3\lynx2-8-3>make-msc
>
> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.
>

> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.
>
>         link /nologo /subsystem:console /incremental:no /machine:I386
> /out:lynx.exe   "DefaultStyle.obj"
> MainLoop.obj"  "LYMap.obj"  "LYNews.obj"  "LYOptions.obj"  "LYPrettySrc.obj"
> "LYPrint.obj"  "LYrcFile.obj
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curscr" imported
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_stdscr" imported
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_SP" imported
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_COLOR_PAIRS" imported
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_COLS" imported
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_LINES" imported
> LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_Mouse_status" imported

these (curscr, etc.) are probably benign, since I see them each time I
link, and it does run for me.

> HTFile.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _gzopen
> HTFormat.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _gzerror
> HTFormat.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _gzread
> HTFormat.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _gzclose

these are the problems you're trying to solve, yes.

> lynx.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x460'
> Stop.
>
> I'm assuming that the problem is in the zlib.lib, but I'm not sure if
> I just have the wrong version (or I'm making a total mess out of the
> install...)

if it's for the wrong configuration, the linker won't see the symbols -
so compiling from source is usually preferable to using dll's that someone
else compiled.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com