Re: lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:06:32 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp"
[10/Nov/2000 Fri 00:37:37]
Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Fiber McGee wrote:
>
> > The message below from Gisli Ottarsson
> > <address@hidden> was forwarded by the
> > list moderator.

[Most of this snipped.  I only had one comment.]

> > >I used lynx in ftp mode to download a large file (680Mb) which it did,
> > >storing the data temporarily in a file named L12120-9789TMP.bin.
> > >After successfully completing the download, lynx prompted me for a
> > >permanent name for this file.
> > >
> > >I accepted the default and this is when lynx did something unexpected.
> > >Rather than renaming the temporary file, it copied it to a file with
> > >the new name, thereby:
>
> This gives you the chance to do something else with it, too - save it
> under a second name, too, or perform some other action form your
> Download Options menu.

I remembered something about Lynx doing this because it's more
compatible: some systems handle copying a file from one place
to another more easily than trying to move it.

The rest didn't occur to me, but yeah: you could save an "untouched"
copy of something [as backup, in case you make a mistake later],
and feed another to your text editor or something.  Unless it's
680mb , of course.

                             Patrick
                   <mailto:address@hidden>
                <http://www.island.net/~pboylan/>