Re: lynx-dev NLS

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev NLS
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:28:37 +0100

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 04:18:42PM +0530, SreePriya. G wrote:

> > A "fr.po" file does exist in the "po" subdirectory though.
>
> those are stubs for the language files in the regular tar or zip - the actual
> files are in a different download,
>
>       ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po

This fr.po is completely broken and only about 2/3 of the
messages are translated. Besides the header indicates that it
was meant for 2.8.2.

In other words it should be removed both from ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po
and from the 2.8.3 archive that contains the message files. In
the latter case this fr.po file will actually prevent Lynx from
compiling if you enable NLS..

I find the policy concerning translations in Lynx terribly
confusing and this is very likely the reason that none of the
distributions carry versions of Lynx that include translations.

I suggest the following:

1) Stop the use of stub files.

2) Instead distribute two archives - one with message files and
   one devoid of them.

3) Make sure that the po files to be included in the archive
   are fully translated - or very close to, and that they are
   syntax-checked.

   4) In addition to distributing them in an archive, two ftp
   directories could be kept, one with the finished translations
   and one with unfinished ones so that in the latter case others
   get the opportunity to finish the job.

5) Package maintainers of the various distributions should be notified
   of the existence of the ftp directory with the finished translations.

My own full and syntax-checked Danish translation of 2.8.3 has
been ready for some time now and resides as

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/trans/da/lynx-2.8.3.da.po

It would be nice to see it included at
ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po/finished/

I have written to the package maintainers of the Debian and SuSE
versions of Lynx and notified them of my version so hopefully
they will include it in future versions of their packages. I
encourage others to do the same if they have finished their
versions. If the po files don't get onto the official cdroms our
work is sort of futile.

Could some of you kindly provide me with the names of the
maintainers for other distros such as Redhat, Mandrake etc..?

Thanks,

Morten

--
"I am the least difficult of men. All I want is boundless love."
                                                (Frank O'Hara)