Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.3 for Windows 98

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.3 for Windows 98
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:41:41 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, James Phillips wrote:

> What I don't get is why bother with .bat files?
>
> What I do to "install" LYNX is extract the archive to a folder
> (such as c:\lynx) and then put a shortcut to lynx.exe on the desktop.
> If I wanted, I could also put it in the "start menu".
> Any options that you would want to modify are in the lynx.cfg file.
> on a side note, the temporary director defaults to "C:\windows\temp".

Clearly, you don't NEED a batch file; it just makes it easier. For
lynx to function smoothly, you need to set the HOME and LYNX_CFG
variables in the environment. You may also want to set others, such
as LYNX_TEMP_SPACE. You could do these in your autoexec.bat, if you
wished, in Win9x. I am not sure how to do it in WinNT. Lynx doesn't
default to a temporary directory of c:\windows\temp unless the person
who compiled your binary did this in userdefs.h. I would need to check
the code, but I seem to remember Windows and DOS versions looking at
TEMP and TMP variables, in addition to TMPDIR. I don't remember if the
cygwin port looks at these or not. LYNX_TEMP_SPACE overrides any of
these settings. Don't assume that default temporary directory will be
constant in all Windows binaries.

I frequently have more than one version of lynx on my machine. Having
LYNX_CFG as part of the batch files makes running separate instances
of lynx easier. Making a shortcut to "lynx -cfg=path_to_file" would
work if you only access it from the graphic interface. The batch file,
with a shortcut to the batch file allows access from the graphic
interface or the command line interface.
                              Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden