Re: lynx-dev and why can one not use lynx to chat?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev and why can one not use lynx to chat?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:43:09 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, karen lewellen wrote:

> i have asked this on the doslynx list before and have never goten
> a real answer.  what is the reason one cannot visit websites that
> have chat rooms and use the lynx driver to chat there?  does
> someone using explorer or one of the others use a third party
> program, something that you might incorporate into your personal
> lynx usage on an external basis?
> just wondering, it seems odd that you can do so much of
> everything else.  say i can visit a forum at delphi.com, log in,
> post messages, but cannot frequent a chat room? thanks,

One *can* use lynx to "chat" in Delphi.com chat rooms.  I just did
it.  It is possible, but not very convenient - for one thing, you
have to refresh the page manually to see new messages.

I don't remember how exactly I got there - you have to experiment
a bit.  But one thing necessary is that you have to set some kind
of chat preference (I don't remember the wording) from "Java" to
"HTML".

The whole thing is not very lynx-friendly since it uses frames.
But in principle the stuff they use to implement "chat rooms" is
compatible with lynx - it's just plaint HTTP and HTML.  If you
want the site to be more accessible with lynx, you should talk to
them.

   Klaus