Re: lynx-dev Distribution of SSL-enabled lynx

From: Fiber McGee
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Distribution of SSL-enabled lynx
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:23:39 -0600

The message below from Saint skullY the Dazed
<address@hidden> was forwarded by one of
the list maintainers.

Well, this in no way constitutes legal advice, I and may very well be
wrong, so please take the normal grain of salt with this. :=) IAANL, etc.

My understanding is that with the new restrictions on crypto the US
government outlined, it is now ok to distribute strong cryptography
to any entity outside the US, so long as it doesn't go to any of the
big bad evil governments the US doesn't like (eg, cuba and iraq) and
either the source is avalible, or the product has been okayed be the
government (eg, netscape). So, given both conditions, I'd say you're
safe distributing binaries of ssl-enabled lynx provided you provide
the source code (Which I'm assuming you are).

At least, I hope my interpretation is correct, as I'm going to start
distributing binary packages of OpenSSL/SSH with a Linux Distro I'm
doing.....