lynx-dev Re: status line

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: status line
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:03:30 -0500

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 01:31:57PM -0500, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, raoul wrote:
> > 1. I try to translate a po file (fr.po in this case) and
> > the well known line:
> > "-- press space for more, use arrow keys to move, '?' for help, 'q' to
> > quit."
> > msgstr "-- Espace=suite, Haut/Bas=déplacements, '?'=aide, 'Q'=quitter."
> > sometimes looks quite well and sometimes some characters are wrong.
> > Is it a bad cleanup of the status line, or a character translation problem?
> > My current version is 2.8.4dev.14 but I noted the same behaviour on
> > 2.8.4-dev.11.
> (I'm not sure - I do occasional checks of the gettext configuration, but
> hadn't noticed problems with this except for Solaris gettext which has
> some places where messages are not translated)

As has been noted here, the fr.po file that I prepared has limitations.
Since it was created with earlier versions of gettext and lynx, there
are many problems with missing strings, and probably some bad strings,
resulting from my limited French abilities. If you would like to help me
by proofreading the catalog, I will attempt to bring this catalog up to
date.

> > Lynx was compiled with: --included-get-text and --enable-nls.
> > My OS: FreeBSD 4.0, and I use iso-8859-1, with LANG=fr.
> > 2. Do you maintain a file indicating
> > only the name or the line number and the file of changeed messages,
> > from one version to another? (for maintenance of PO files).
> no - the line numbers change much more often than the messages.

There should be markers in the po files showing the base catalog file
that it was prepared from. We generate new base lynx.pot files whenever
there are substantial messages changes (or when we feel like it ;-). The
French translation should at least be based against lynx2-8-3. The last
time I worked on it was September 1998, and it still includes strings
from Lynx2-6!

------
<http:// jim dot spath dot com / lynx_win32 />
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: You realise whilst I was doing that I
also calculated the number of oxygen atoms within a radius of ten light
years of here? But I don't expect anyone to appreciate me for it.