Re: lynx-dev navigation by the LINK-element

From: Michael Nahrath
Subject: Re: lynx-dev navigation by the LINK-element
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 02:03:59 +0100

Matt Ackeret <address@hidden> schrieb am 15.12.2000 01:11:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Michael Nahrath wrote:

>> I dedicated a webpage to the LINK element (German/English):
>> <http://www.subotnik.net/html/link>
>
> Cool, a feature supported by my favorite browsers!

Today I found out that iCab and Lynx are not so exclusive in offering
LINK-navigation and updated the page with 3 more browsers.

I find it a pitty that even web authors that read the Lynx-Documentation for
Lynx enhancements are not told how to use the LINK element.

> I just saw a new-to-me feature:
> the <ABBR> tag..  Is this new?

At least combinig it with a TITLE attribute is new in HTML 4

See <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/attrs.html#title> for more
examples (and the links to ABBR and ACRONYM!

> iCab supports it by turning the cursor into
> Arrow-with-exclamation-point and shows the expanded abbreviation at the
> bottom of the window (where a horizontal scrollbar would be if there were
> one)..

If you are interested in CSS2
<http://www.subotnik.net/stylesheets/subotnik.css> contains a rule for a
similar behaviour in Mozilla/NN6.

But I guess this is  offtopic on this list.

> Lynx doesn't support it, alas..  Maybe having it highlightable (like a
> normal link), and showing the expanded abbreviation at the bottom
> of the screen would be coool.

This is an issue with all TITLE attributes, not the ABBR element.

Greeting, Michi
--
<http://nahrath.de/michael/>