Re: lynx-dev Unzip Programs for VMS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Unzip Programs for VMS
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:08:28 -0500

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 03:31:53PM -0500, ANTHONY CAMPIERE wrote:

>    I downloaded the Unzip Programs from Altavista which were recommended to
> me.  I downloaded ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/.0/infozip/VMS/unz541xv-axp.exe
> and ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/.0/infozip/VMS/unz541xv-axp2.exe and I tried
> both these programs.  I exeecuted them in test mode as suggested in the
> README file at the site ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip  I got the message:
> 512 byte record too large for users buffer.  Has anyone run into this
> before?

yes.  The problem is that when you download a binary from the net (using a Unix
ftp client), it usually doesn't conform to VMS's file format, which is
fixed-length, 512 bytes/record.  There's a program (named MFTU) which can be
used to convert it, but I've found it simpler to just compile the sources for
unzip (there are after all only two directories to get).

Your ftp client may have, in addition to ascii and binary modes, an "image"
mode - if so, you should download VMS files using that from ftp.wku.edu,
and bypass the whole issue.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com