Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:58:11 -0500

Thank you for reminding me about the lines and cols variables.  I
don't know how I missed them; I probably assumed they wouldn't work
in Windows.  I learned that they do work with Jim Spath's 2.8.3
release binary.  But I also learned that setting a width greater than
80 completely confuses my DOS screen reader, because it's looking in
a particular region of RAM for the contents of the console buffer,
and loses track of it when it exceeds the standard width of 80
characters.  This isn't really Lynx's problem.  But it looks like, if
I want to run the console version of Lynx in Windows, I'll need to
make sure it doesn't start up a nonstandard screen.  Meanwhile, if I
need to look at some wide output, I can continue to run Lynx -dump
-crawl -width=100 to get wider columns for inspection in a Windows
program.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:05:48 +0400 (SAMT), Vlad Harchev wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Lloyd Rasmussen wrote:
>>

>> > I have dumped some files to a wide text file, and this is useful in a
>> > Windows program such as Ultraedit for distinguishing the columns of a
>> > multicolumn data table.  I have not found a way to set the width of a
>> > Windows console to other than 40 or 80 characters before Lynx starts.
>>
>>  You can set environment variable LINES or COLUMNS and windows version of
>
> I'm sorry, LINES has nothing to do with width :)
> Just checked my batch files - COLS is the correct env. variable for
>setting width (not COLUMNS).
>
> Best regards,
>  -Vlad

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home:  <address@hidden> <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <address@hidden>         <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>