Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17 -- indention

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17 -- indention
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:57:34 -0500

About new Lynx showing

   dot Base Definitions
   dot Commands & Utilities
                           dot System Interfaces
                           dot System Headers
                                                dot Networking Services
                                                dot X/Open Curses

where older Lynx showed

   dot Base Definitions
   dot Commands & Utilities
   dot System Interfaces
   dot System Headers
   dot Networking Services
   dot X/Open Curses

It was a bug in the old TRST table support.  As your HTML shows, the
sight wants you to see a table with 3 columns.  The new lynx
constructs as close approximation as it can.

The only problem is that this site adds a <BR> at the end of each cell
(each cell has 2 rows plus an empty third row).  Currently Lynx is not
smart enough to postpone processing of <BR> until some new contents
appears.  So Lynx cannot recognize that <BR> is at the end of a cell,
so may be ignored.  If it could, it could show this as

   dot Base Definitions
   dot Commands & Utilities dot System Interfaces
                            dot System Headers    dot Networking Services
                                                  dot X/Open Curses

which could match the intent of the site better.  [BTW, I think this
site puts <BR> at end-of-cells to support older Lynx!  ;-]

I do not think that such a postponed-treatement-of-<BR> is hard to
implement.  Will not do it myself, though.

Ilya