Re: lynx-dev Background Color

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Background Color
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:56:36 -0500

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:00:15PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:39:44 -0500
> >
> > for a quick check I don't see this on Linux with ncurses (but I can test
> > this on Solaris 7)
> >
> > > My terminal is XFree96 xterm 150 -tn xterm-color.  Behavior
> > > of background color is identical on Solaris and OS/390.
> >
> > possibly it was flakey before I picked up those implicit stdscr's and
> > replaced them with LYwin - there're a few places I replaced refresh()
> > with LYrefresh() which means almost the same thing.
> >
> > I need some info to make the same configuration:
> >
> >     is this with curses, ncurses or slang
> >
> curses.

ok - knows about 8 colors.

> >     what's $TERM set to (or infocmp output)
> >
> xterm-color.

xterm-color (the one defined in ncurses, at any rate) doesn't specify bce
(XFree86 xterm implements bce).  That's a source of some problems such as the
one you had to type ^L for.  This is what I have:

comparing xterm-r6 to xterm-color.
    comparing booleans.
    comparing numbers.
        colors: NULL, 8.
        pairs: NULL, 64.
    comparing strings.
        op: NULL, '\E[m'.
        setab: NULL, '\E[4%p1%dm'.
        setaf: NULL, '\E[3%p1%dm'.

> >     what are the terminal's default colors (light gray could be a resource
> >     setting, or the way ANSI "white" is rendered by an application
> >     for xterm's background).
> >
> Where do I find this?  I've done no customizing of lynx's default colors.
> "white" is actually (with a little more experimenting) the color
> in "xterm -bg <color>"

it's been a long day but it sounds backwards - if you're seeing white
(not light gray) on the screen then it sounds as if curses is thinking
that the clearing operations spread the current colors around, but don't
I'll have to set this up on Solaris and check (right now I'm trying to
squeeze a short patch for xterm in between some repair/cleanup).

> Do you want my config.cache or lynx_cfg.h, possibly off the list?
no - output from
        infocmp
and
        appres XTerm