Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4dev.18 random crashes

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4dev.18 random crashes
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:00:50 -0300

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:33:39AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > > You need to reproduce the fault with tracing enabled.
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm able to reproduce the fault, but I get a
> > trace file of ~100Mb in seconds. Is there any way to avoid
> > this? I tried disabling trace, removing the file, and enabling
> > it again, but then no trace file is created.
>
> There are a lot of things being traced.  To make sense of the TRST changes,
> both IZ and I added traces recently - mine are for the color-style code,
> which probably are most of the output since Lynx writes one character at
> a time to the screen.  You can omit that by changing LYCurses.c in
> LYwaddnstr.  (I think it's about time to review the trace mechanism and
> make it more configurable - make categories of traces).
>
> (I didn't see my copy of lynx break when I tried this site though).

I downgraded to dev.16 and can't reproduce the problem. I also
noticed that dev.18 uses a lot of RAM comparing to dev.16 and
dev.15. FYI, I have 256Mb of RAM. dev.18 would use ~8% in
a few minutes, and loading small pages (~50K maximum). dev.16
is using ~2%.

I think the following problem was reported by Ilya -
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month022001/msg00083.html

Go to http://www.slackware.com/forum/ with dev.18
Don't forget to use the arrow keys (up and down). I see garbage
using the arrow keys. You may need to follow 'Slackware Devel'
or another Forum.

BTW Thomas, I downgraded using the patches, and noticed the
following:

dev.18 -> dev.17

patching file src/LYStrings.h
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
This file doesn't appear to be the 1.41 version -- patch anyway? [n]

dev.17 -> dev.16

patching file src/LYStructs.h
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
This file doesn't appear to be the 1.40 version -- patch anyway? [n]

I cd to lynx2-8-4 and use patch -p1 < /path/to/patch

I didn't change src/LYStructs.h and am patching since dev.10 -> dev.11.

--
address@hidden, {dyndns.}org} Tel: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)