Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4dev.18 random crashes

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4dev.18 random crashes
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:22:37 -0500

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:00:50AM -0300, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:33:39AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > > Unfortunately I'm able to reproduce the fault, but I get a
> > > trace file of ~100Mb in seconds. Is there any way to avoid
> > > this? I tried disabling trace, removing the file, and enabling
> > > it again, but then no trace file is created.
> >
> > There are a lot of things being traced.  To make sense of the TRST changes,
> > both IZ and I added traces recently - mine are for the color-style code,
> > which probably are most of the output since Lynx writes one character at
> > a time to the screen.  You can omit that by changing LYCurses.c in
> > LYwaddnstr.  (I think it's about time to review the trace mechanism and
> > make it more configurable - make categories of traces).
> >
> > (I didn't see my copy of lynx break when I tried this site though).
>
> I downgraded to dev.16 and can't reproduce the problem. I also
> noticed that dev.18 uses a lot of RAM comparing to dev.16 and
> dev.15. FYI, I have 256Mb of RAM. dev.18 would use ~8% in
> a few minutes, and loading small pages (~50K maximum). dev.16
> is using ~2%.

I assume it has something to do with Ilya's TRST changes, then.
(Doesn't sound good).

dev.16 was the last before that (if this becomes an issue, I'll
put dev.16 up on the ftp area -- I assume that Jim Spath deleted
the older stuff last week).

> I think the following problem was reported by Ilya -
> http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month022001/msg00083.html

resizing (should be) a different aspect.  The pads use more memory,
but unless you toggle linewrap, lynx is not formatting its display
onto the wider screen.   For a 24x80 screen, that makes an invisible
24x1000 screen, figuring 4 bytes per cell I added less than 100kb
of runtime data.  (I have a short fix for the resizing and will
probably make a small dev.19 patch today to fix that and the
restrictions bug that I introduced, as well as making traces less
verbose).

> Go to http://www.slackware.com/forum/ with dev.18
> Don't forget to use the arrow keys (up and down). I see garbage
> using the arrow keys. You may need to follow 'Slackware Devel'
> or another Forum.
>
> BTW Thomas, I downgraded using the patches, and noticed the
> following:
>
> dev.18 -> dev.17
>
> patching file src/LYStrings.h
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
> This file doesn't appear to be the 1.41 version -- patch anyway? [n]

patch does that - complains about the version number even when it's
told that things are reversed (so it should disregard the 'Index'
line in the patch file).  I just ignore that message if I know it
should be ok (but I use the --dry-run option of patch first to check
that there are no rejects - a sign of misapplying a patch).

> dev.17 -> dev.16
>
> patching file src/LYStructs.h
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
> This file doesn't appear to be the 1.40 version -- patch anyway? [n]
>
> I cd to lynx2-8-4 and use patch -p1 < /path/to/patch
>
> I didn't change src/LYStructs.h and am patching since dev.10 -> dev.11.
>
> --
> address@hidden, {dyndns.}org} Tel: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com