Re: lynx-dev Table troubles

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Table troubles
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:52:50 +0900 (JST)

> an error in the algorithm, or not efficient.  (After dev.19, I'll
> see if it would be not be too hard to maintain old/new TRST's ifdef'd)

Please!  (The obvious, and stated, intent of Klaus was to have a simple,
AND efficient, table handler compatible with Lynx.  As advertised, it WAS
doing an excellent job.)

I know there is a lot of dissension on this point, but there is something
to be said for a Lynx that doesn't try to do everything itself.  "Farming
out" things like multiple-pass table analysis, javascript interpretation
and plain text processing (hyphenation, justification, etc.) to a pseudo-
proxy is the way to go, IM [not so] HO.  It makes for a fast, light and
smooth Lynx.  Isn't that what we really want Lynx for?

There is talk that these "things" are too hard for the average user to set
up.  Well, if entire packages like GNU gettext tools and libraries can be
bundled in with Lynx, I can't see what's stopping the inclusion of Lynx-
supporting tools and scripts.  The things that Klaus set up for us are
complete and well documented.  That people don't use them is an insult to
his efforts.  Thanks.

__Henry