Re: lynx-dev Building Lynx2-8-4 - when did complicated/undebuggable "con

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Building Lynx2-8-4 - when did complicated/undebuggable "configure" scripts become the norm?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:26:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Malcolm Boekhoff wrote:

> The question asked by this posting is: "Why isn't Lynx linking?".
>
> I am trying to build Lynx on NT4 with Cygwin (using bash), but, as usual when
> things don't go quite right, I need to find out which
> one of the 200 command-line "configure" arguments I need.
>
> Why can't we have just have a makefile instead of having to create the
> makefile from a 16000 line shell script that is pretty much
> un-debuggable?

if you really do understand makefiles, constructing one manually from
makefile.in is not a big deal.  unfortunately this is not the case
for most people.  (the makefile before the configure script had
roughly 50 platform/library combinations, and about half did not
really build).

> I am using the following command:
>
>     configure --build=CYGWIN --target=WIN32 --with-screen=ncurses --with-zlib
> --disable-full-paths --with-ssl --enable-externs; make
>
> but when it gets to the linking phase, it moans about things like "stdscr"
> and "LINES" not being defined (these are defined in
> libncurses.a).

did you build your own libncurses?  (I'm aware that the cygwin people are
tinkering with shared libraries, but haven't seen it working - I've built
on cygwin statically only).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com