Re: lynx-dev Why do I have to press 'z' after accessing an FTP link?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why do I have to press 'z' after accessing an FTP link?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:40:17 +0900 (JST)

> > When I access the first of the links below (www.sendmail.org) (to
> > download the source of sendmail), the transfer succeeds and the status
> > line shows "Data Transfer Complete", however I have to press 'z' to
> > get to the "save to disk" screen. Why?
>
> You're using cygwin - perhaps that's related.  I recall reading someone's
> problem a while back where there were problems with the external utilities
> (but don't recall exactly what).  It works fine on Solaris and Linux.

It does not work "fine" on the Solaris2.6 here.  I've reported this problem
repeatedly.  It *seems* to be related to a slow link and large files.  Try
downloading a small 5-6KB file.  I suspect you will have no problem.  I
usually use ^G to get the the download options menu, but others have reported
the use of 'z' as in your case.

If you're worried about it, use ftp from the command line.  It is generally
more reliable than Lynx's ftp client.  However, the bundled ftp sometimes
hangs here after the successful download of a huge file, e.g. >10MB, which
suggests that the problem is not unique to Lynx.

__Henry