Re: lynx-dev Problem with META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh". Is it a bug?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh". Is it a bug?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:42:39 +0000 (GMT)

> Looking again at the page returned by the server, (I use the
> lynx -useragent='Mozilla/4.5 [en] (WinNT; I)' command to pretend

You are:
1) not using Lynx as far as the site is concerned, so there is no
   need for them to support it (unfortunately, even when you
   correct for this under-reporting, there are not the 5% of Lynx
   users that would make them care);
2) if they are checking at that stage, and they use it as a test
   of the security quality of the browser, you might be consided
   to be fraudulently accessing the site (I do not believe that
   the random number generation is adequate in the SSL support in
   Lynx on some platforms).

> to be a 'legitimite' browser), I found out that the problem is
> actually that the form with ID and password is sent back after a
> processing in a javascript.
> Apparently lynx does not have a capability to do javascript.
> Does it mean that there is no way that I can get through this login
> page with lynx?

Almost certainly - you might get through it by editting the HTML,
but they would probably frown on that.  I've recently had a problem
with triplicated e-banking transactions when using a real copy of
Netscape; you would get no sympathy at all using an unsupported
browser.