Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.20

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.20
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:53:49 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:

> Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:03:56 -0400
>
> 2001-04-01 (2.8.4dev.20)
> * fix a comparison in HTChunkPutUtf8Char() to work with EBCDIC -PG

Thanks.  Verified.

> * add configure --enable-vertrace option, to put __FILE__ and __LINE__ into
>   trace log -PG

Thanks.  When this didn't appear in dev.19 I feared it had been rejected,
either on its (lack of) merits, or because it conflicted with other Work In
Progress nearby.  I know I had to re-integrate it to apply it to dev.19.

But I notice my comma-expression has been converted to a compound-statement.
Was the comma-expression too bizarre, or did it threaten portability?
I liked the comma-expression because I could put a CTRACE within an expression:

    x = wombat ? (CTRACE((tfp,"First\n")), a) : (CTRACE((tfp,"Second\n")), b);

and it also avoids the syntax error if someone is so rash as to:

    if (wombat)
        CTRACE((tfp, "True\n"));
    else
        CTRACE((tfp, "False\n"));

> * fix a typo in LYCharUtils.c CTRACE macro, ...

Of course, it was the comma-expression that stumbled over this typo and
caused a syntax error, for better or worse.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL