Re: lynx-dev Re: Adding script support

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Adding script support
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:51:45 +0100 (BST)

> > DOM1 definitely has document.write.  See the html section (link posted
> > in the previous section).
>
> It was missing or didn't work for the current document when I read the
> draft, quite a while ago.  At the time I decided it was so far from
> what real browsers did that it wasn't worth using it as a reference.

I've re-checked, and what I was actually remembering was that document.write
cannot be used on the document currently being loaded, but only on
a new document that has been explicitly opened  (I believe there are
strong views that the latter is a bad thing in the W3C).

I suspect that Mozilla has ignored this limitation or lumped load time
document.write in with the ill defined DOM0 support.

Load time document.write is one of the main causes of blank pages in Lynx.
Explicit opens are associated with popup, so may show as dead links.