Re: lynx-dev order of cfg reading

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev order of cfg reading
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:06:56 +0900 (JST)

> But now albert.users does this
> ~/.profile : export LYNX_CFG=~/.lynx.cfg
> ~/.lynx.cfg: COLOR:1:red:white (and so on)
> and suddenly he has his own colors which should not be possible.

Why shouldn't it be possible?  What's wrong with allowing someone their
own preference as to color?  As Philip and I have been discussing recently,
the color defaults in the distribution lynx.cfg leave a lot to be desired.

If *any* user can execute a certain lynx binary, then whatever that
binary has as defaults will be possible.  There are others on the list
much more knowledgeable than I, but I don't think there is any compile
time option to shut off lynx's use of the environment variables like
LYNX_CFG, WWW_HOME and *_proxy, to name a few.

I don't see any way to do what you want other than using a wrapper.

If on the command line you specify the lynx.cfg file to use (-cfg=),
I *think* that takes preference over any environment variable set by
the user.  That way, you could write up a number of lynx.cfg files that
would give a sane default environment according to specific users or
groups, or perhaps more meaningfully according to the type of login or
the terminal emulation.  Whether or not you leave in the INCLUDE option
for those users is up to you.

> What is going to happen if he sets all known cgi scripts to trusted?

Well, *he* gets what he asks for.  It's not going to affect other users.

> If you now tell me from my example, this is an admin-only problem,

Again, I am no expert, so listen to comments by others on the list.  My
interpretation of your situation is that it is totally a sysadmin concern,
and that there is no need to alter lynx's present behavior.

> (And until solved compile with everything disabled)

Why?  If you want a lynx that's very restricted, then you ought to be
running it with the -anonymous, -cfg=, -homepage=, -restrictions=, etc.
command line options.

If these (and others, e.g., -nocc) command line switches are not working,
then, yes, there is a bug in lynx, and please report it immediately.

__Henry

PS  It sounds to me like you really want an anonymous lynx.  If you want a
    feel for what a "public access" lynx is like, try a few of them:
        http://www.trill-home.com/lynx/public_lynx.html
    (Although at the moment I can't connect to this site.)
    Guess you can try mine:
        http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/publynx.html