lynx-dev Re: Lynx Binaries for Solaris

From: Serge Munhoven
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Binaries for Solaris
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:01:17 +0200

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:49:48AM -0400, Webmaster Jim wrote:
 >  On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:03:00AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
 >  >   I would like to know the palces where I can get binaries of Lynx for
 >  > Sun Solaris 8. I want the latest binaries. I am not a software guy, so
 >  > I dont much compile these stuff.
 >  > TIA
 >  > Arun
 >
 >  Anyone?

Keeping in mind that binaries are even more AS IS as sources, try:

http://sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc8.html#lynx

which will point you to:

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/lynx-2.8.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz

This is in a format recognized by the system utility "pgkadd".
Generic instructions are found on http://sunfreeware.com/ (Download and
Installation Instructions - http://sunfreeware.com/download.html ).
Beware of possible dependencies (e.g., shared libraries that this binary has
been linked against).

And finally: it was NOT me who compiled this package; I don't even use it
(though I already fetched other stuff there).
You get what's there ...

More generally: wasn't there a page listing compiled versions contributed
from around the world ? I vaguely remember from my ancient VMS days.
Is it still around, updated, a useful thing ?

Similarly, I remember having suggested to index sites mirroring the source
distribution (a draft must float somewhere in my disk space), but at that
moment lynx was just moving. I'm still willing to set something alike up and
maintain it, if there is interest. Anyone I shall arrange with ?

 - Serge