Re: lynx-dev Curious about é ...

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Curious about é ...
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:23:12 -0400

010415 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 01:32:12PM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
>> For some reason, when I use lynx to look at the character  é ,
>> instead of showing me a lower case acuted e, I see an upper case accuted e.
>> I can't tell if this is a lynx, terminal emulator, or other issue -
>> anyone else see this?
> I'm not sure - testing with xterm, I see the lowercase e.
> Checking,  &Eacute  (see the iso8859-1.html test file) is octal 201,
                    ^;
> which I see in xfd as an uppercase E with an acute accent.
> Octal 233 is the lowercase form, &eacute .
                                          ^;

Lynx 2-8-4dev.19 renders the following HTML file:

  <head>
  <title>testfile 1</title>
  </head>
  e-acute test file:
  lower-case -- &eacute;<br>
  upper-case -- &Eacute;

in the following manner:

   e-acute test file:

   lower-case -- é
   upper-case -- É

system is Mandrake Linux,  TERM=`xterm-color' , usual English charset.