Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Lynx2.8.4

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Lynx2.8.4
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:54:13 +0100 (BST)

> Since he is not on the list, please cc: him on the response. Thanks

When a thread forms, requests for CCing tend to get lost; it is
much better to join temporarily.

>       ==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================

> the Lynx temp file is 1526329 bytes. I've compared the files and
> found that
> 13 hex'0D' chars are deleted. Can you check what is going wrong when
> Lynx

The expected number of CR LFs (0D 0A) in this size of random data file
is about 23.  I would suggest that the file is being converted from
nominal MSDOS text to Unix format.  This will happen whenever you feed
a file to standard input in a C DOS program as standard input is always
in text mode.  How this relates to Lynx requires more investigation,
but I suspect that a helper application has the file as standard input.

> loads large files?
>
> 2. Usually, when loading local files I use '\' chars in drive and
> path. For
> example j:\test\index.html. The index file is loaded, however when

This is certainly going to be a dodgy area.  Lynx has to take something
that looks like a URL and realise that it isn't, then internally
convert it to a URL.  If it fails to convert \ to / in the process,
the rules for resolving relative URLs will strip more components
than you intended.  It wouldn't surprise me if it is converting
your file to file://localhost/j:\test\index.html, which will lose
everything from the j: if you form a relative URL.

IE is known to treat the (illegal) character \ in URLs as though it was
/ when resolving even HTTP URLs, but \ is really illegal in URLs and
if it were entered as a % escape it would be treated as an ordinary
character in a file name by a correct relative URL handler.

Also, file URLs are implementation dependent.  At one time, some of
the big two used | instead of :.

It does, however, seem to me that Lynx is behaving unreasonably in this
case, although I'd advise using the file:///X:/xxxx/xxx.yyy format.