Re: lynx-dev Status of lynx?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Status of lynx?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:29:30 -0400

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 07:30:14AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Is there a place from which patches to lynx are available since the
> normal development site continues to be down?

I don't think so - I'm combining all of my post-20 changes as a pre-release
patch (to cut down on the amount of time it takes to filter feature-requests
from bug-fixes, as well as to verify builds on various platforms), and am not
done yet.  If there's nothing seriously wrong with lynx.isc.org, I'd expect
it'll be back up around the time I'm done.  If not, we'll address that.

> Also, has anyone taken a look at the cookie bug that shows up when trying
> to use lynx with http://groups.yahoo.com/ ?
>
> Finally, I'm still struggling to figure out what combination of configuration
> options to use with lynx to get it to display properly on SPARC Solaris .
> I don't know which of a dozen different things caused my display problem
> - since the last time I had built lynx, I've updated a lot of different
> utilities, the compiler, patched the OS, etc. and there is no going back.
> I know that for the last 3 patches to lynx that I've tried, the lynx
> built no longer displays data on my default color terminal emulator
> in the way I expect.

I can load a base version (dev-17 for instance) and followup patches to
dickey.his.com for the time being, if that's what you need for analysis.

> What I was expecting was color highliting for hyperlinks, headings, etc.
> My terminal is, by default, a gray background with black letters.
> The last 'successful' lynx build I had would continue to display a
> gray background with normal text in black, with hyperlinks in blue,
> italics in read, nothing special with bold, and the cursor position in red.
>
> What I get now is weird:
>
> Background is shown as black, text is displayed as grey background with
> black letters, hyperlinks are shown as either white or grey underlined
> text with black background, and the current cursor position is shown as
> gray background and black letters.  Text input fields are white underlined
> black spaces.

no - the pictures you showed didn't look like a problem with bce mismatch,
and the tests I've run on Solaris 2.5.1 don't show any problems.  It's
possible that you have a $HOME/.terminfo directory confusing ncurses,
but the usual symptom of that is lack of colors.  I don't have an account
on a Solaris past 2.6 (I think you said this was with Solaris 2.8), so
I couldn't analyze it myself -- but running strace on the executable would
provide at least enough info to see that it's getting the right terminfo
entry loaded.  If that's not the problem - a library mismatch is harder
to analyze.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com