lynx-dev Re: !(Win32 problem). URI problem with STARTFILE

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev Re: !(Win32 problem). URI problem with STARTFILE
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:04:47 -0400

010523 Mark Filipak wrote:
> I've tried editing lynx.cfg to start with a blank page
> so it will at least run and allow me to explore,
> but I can't seem to get the URL right.
> I've tried a million combinations of lines like this:
>   STARTFILE:file://F|/PROGRA~1/LYNX/BLANK.HTM
> (switches to FTP, fails, and automatically quits) and this:
>   STARTFILE:file:///F|/PROGRA~1/LYNX/BLANK.HTM
> (adds 'localhost', fails, and automatically quits).
> These are all DOS-type paths to where I put Lynx.
> I've tried fwd slashes, backslashes, colons, long path names,
> escaped long path names, etc.
> I'm somewhat familiar with IETF RFCs and URL notation.
PW>  lynx.cfg  does suggest starting with `lynx .' (that's a dot),
PW> which should give you the local directory.
> No it doesn't. I searched for 'lynx .' (without the quotes) and found nothing.

"searched"??  when you want to use Lynx, you enter `lynx .' at a prompt,
which should start Lynx using your current directory as startfile.
if it's a problem on M$ Windows that there's no command prompt,
look for the batch file which clicking the Lynx icon starts
& change the line which invokes Lynx to add the dot.

as a very satisfied Linux user, i can offer no more.  again, DK TD ?