Re: lynx-dev Lynx in the news

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx in the news
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:48:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 May 2001 address@hidden wrote:

> Not OS/390.  OS/390 doesn't provide virtual machines.  VM/390 (completely
> different operating system) provides virtual machines.  Linux/390
> can run either in a virtual machine under VM/390, or standalone in an
> LPAR (Logical PARtition), which puts it on a par with OS/390 or VM/390
> as an operating system.  (Any one of the three can be run as an LPAR
> or as a virtual machine under VM/390.)  The compiler is gcc.

grumble (IBM makes interesting compilers - though I suppose getting
Linux to build with an ANSI C compiler would be a lot of work).

> I don't understand your statement that "the latter is of little interest".
> It's a new and very powerful hardware platform that supports Linux.
> Or do you simply mean that Linux is so well supported by Open Source
> software that the port is so simple as to be uninteresting?

something like that - the people involved will tend to just copy from
existing Linux ports rather than absorb much from the existing os390
(and where it differs from their expectations, it'll be regarded as
a bug - I just spent a few nights doing a proper port of a utility
whose most recent maintainer I read some comments to the effect that
well, he knows this particular feature isn't POSIX, but all of the
platforms he's using do it the way he he wanted to use it, and he
couldn't be bothered with addressing the issue POSIX cautions about).

So a Linux/390 would be what - another 32-bit port (or is that 64) with a
few customizations made to accommodate different peripherals visible to
the applications, and a fair amount of kernel tweaks to fit with whatever
memory management hooks are needed.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com