Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.4pre.1

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.4pre.1
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

From: Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>

> hmm - I think partly this is a case of differing expectations.  The colorfgbg
> option is used to tell ncurses that it can get the actual values of foreground
> and background from $COLORTERM (which is set automatically by rxvt, but may be
> in your environment for some other reason).  Normally lynx's background is set
> to "white" (actually gray since it's not bright).  So the one on the right
> looks (hmm) normal to me with the out-of-the-box color scheme.

The one on the right is, in fact, what I am wanting to end up with after
building lynx....

> Your earlier picture showed some odd off/on color transitions which I don't
> see
> in this picture (good, so far).  But that does look like dtterm (the titlebar
> and the shades of colors).

I assume that removing the widec and colorfgbg from the ncurses build resulted
in this - that's the only difference.

> Judging by the scrap of border in the window on the left, both have a gray
> default background, so the white-on-black in the window on the left is due to
> explicitly setting colors.  The noticeable change I made for ncurses 5.2 was
> introduce the assume_default_colors() function, which could be the problem
> area
> if the older lynx didn't have that version of ncurses, and your lynx.cfg was
> setting white-on-black, and if the configure script isn't recognizing that the
> newer ncurses has assume_default_colors().  That was related to this item for
> lynx:
>
> 2000-03-26 (2.8.3dev.23)
> * add ASSUMED_COLOR variable to lynx.cfg, making the use of
  > assume_default_colors() optional (addresses reports by LV, IC) -TD
>
> So I'd look & see if the configure script didn't find assume_default_colors().
> If it didn't, and the function's there anyway, then lynx isn't compensating.

Here's what lynx's config.log says:

configure:12256: checking for assume_default_colors
(line 12258) testing assume_default_colors ...
configure:12288: cc -o conftest -g -Xc -I/projects/intranet/include -I/vol/lwv26
ldatae/include -I/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/include -I../intl -I/project
s/intranet/include  conftest.c  -L/projects/intranet/lib -lssl -lcrypto -L/proje
cts/intranet/lib -L/vol/lwv26ldatae/lib -L/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/lib
 -R/projects/intranet/lib:/vol/lwv26ldatae/lib:/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.
6/lib -lz -lncurses -lnsl -lsocket  1>&5
configure:12256: checking for cbreak
(line 12258) testing cbreak ...

and here's what configure reported:

checking for assume_default_colors... yes

--
Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.
Larry W. Virden <mailto:address@hidden> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>