Re: lynx-dev Is this List for Lynx users or *just* developers

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Is this List for Lynx users or *just* developers
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:46:06 -0400

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:39:29PM -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:12:23PM +0100, RobertM wrote:
> > It is alleged that Duke Normandin once typed:
> > > As a Lynx user (but not a developer or programmer), I'm getting a little
> > > annoyed at asking a question on this list and not receiving some kind of
> > > reply. The traffic on this list is minimal, so _volume_ can't be the
> > > problem. Am I on the wrong list? Is there a Lynx-users list? Thanks!
> >
> > Well it's called lynx-dev but. Looking in my own archive you seem to
> > be after cygwin/win32 binaries. The best place to look would I suspect
> > be the Lynx Binary Distribution OutLet.
> > http://www.trill-home.com/lynx/binaries.html
> >
> > --
> > Robm
>
> I can't believe that I got a reply -- and so fast! Thanks!
> No.... I'm not looking for any binaries - just have an issue with Lynx's
> rendering of tables. I wonder if it would pay to have Mutt "bounce" my
> last relevant post? Later...
an excerpt from the user's guide might help:

Lynx and HTML Tables

   HTML includes markup for creating tables structured as arrays of cells
   aligned by columns and rows on the displayed page.

   Lynx  recognizes  the TABLE element and all of its associated elements
   as described in ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1942.txt and will process
   any  ID  attributes in the start tags for handling as NAME-ed anchors,
   but does not create actual tables. Instead, it treats the TR start tag
   as  a  collapsible  BR  (line  break), and inserts a collapsible space
   before  the  content of each TH and TD start tag. This generally makes
   all  of  the  content  of  the  table  readable, preserves most of the
   intra-cell  organization,  and  makes  all  of  the links in the table
   accessible, but any information critically dependent on the column and
   row alignments intended for the table will be missed.

   If  inherently  tabular  data must be presented with Lynx, one can use
   PRE  formatted  content,  or, if the table includes markup not allowed
   for PRE content, construct the table using HTML Tabs. An example table
   using  TAB  elements  is included in the test subdirectory of the Lynx
   distribution. [ToC]

Lynx and HTML Tabs

   Lynx  implements  the HTML 3.0 TAB element only when LEFT alignment is
   in  effect.  If  the  alignment is CENTER or RIGHT (JUSTIFY is not yet
   implemented  in Lynx, and is treated as a synonym for LEFT), or if the
   TAB  element  indicates a position to the left of the current position
   on  the  screen, it is treated as a collapsible space. For purposes of
   implementing  TAB, Lynx treats en units as half a character cell width
   when  specified  by the INDENT attribute, and rounds up for odd values
   (e.g.,  a value of either 5 or 6 will be treated as three spaces, each
   the  width  of  a  character  cell).  See  the example table using TAB
   elements  in the test subdirectory of the Lynx distribution as a model
   for using this functionality.

   Note  that  this  Users  Guide and the Supported URLs page include TAB
   markup in a manner which degrades gracefully for WWW browsers which do
   not  support  it.  Toggle  to display of source and search for <tab to
   examine the use of TAB markup in these documents. [ToC]

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com