Re: lynx-dev Lynx and NLS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and NLS
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:46:37 -0400

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 03:25:10PM +0000, Patrick Ash   wrote:
> Thanks Doug, but textdomaindir does not work. I guess that I will
> keep trying.

It's not documented, but reading the code I think what you want can be
done with NLSPATH in the older 0.10.35 gettext, but TEXTDOMAINDIR in
the newer 0.10.38 (that is, GNU gettext doesn't document it - it's fairly
well documented on Solaris).

User Commands                                          gettext(1)

NAME
     gettext - retrieve text string from message database

SYNOPSIS
     gettext [ textdomain ] msgid

DESCRIPTION
     gettext retrieves a translated text string corresponding  to
     string msgid from a message object generated with msgfmt(1).
     The message object name is derived from the  optional  argu-
     ment  textdomain  if  present, otherwise from the TEXTDOMAIN
     environment.  If no domain is specified, or if a correspond-
     ing string cannot be found, gettext prints msgid.

     Ordinarily  gettext  looks  for  its   message   object   in
     /usr/lib/locale/lang/LC_MESSAGES  where  lang  is the locale
     name.  If present, the  TEXTDOMAINDIR  environment  variable
     replaces the pathname component up to lang.

     This command interprets C escape sequences such  as  \t  for
     tab.   Use \\ to print a backslash.  To produce a message on
     a line of its own, either put a \n at the end of  msgid,  or
     use this command in conjunction with printf(1).

ENVIRONMENT
     LANG Specifies locale name.

     LC_MESSAGES
          Specifies messaging locale, and  if  present  overrides
          LANG for messages.

     TEXTDOMAIN
          Specifies the text domain name, which is  identical  to
          the message object filename without .mo suffix.

     TEXTDOMAINDIR
          Specifies the pathname to the message database, and  if
          present replaces /usr/lib/locale.

ATTRIBUTES
     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the  following  attri-
     butes:

     __________________________________
    | ATTRIBUTE TYPE|  ATTRIBUTE VALUE|
    |_______________|_________________|
    | Availability  |  SUNWcsu        |
    |_______________|_________________|

SEE ALSO
     msgfmt(1),  printf(1),  gettext(3C),  setlocale(3C),  attri-
     butes(5)

SunOS 5.6           Last change: 11 Jul 1996                    1

User Commands                                          gettext(1)

NOTES
     This  is  the  shell  equivalent  of  the  library   routine
     gettext(3C).

> >> If you are in a position to compile your own lynx, you can use the
> >> configure option "--with-nls-datadir=".  Sorry, I don't know of an
> >> environment variable.
> >
> >I think it is "TEXTDOMAINDIR".

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com