Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4 progress

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4 progress
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:07:05 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Henry Nelson wrote:

 Hello Henry,

> > "feature", and that W3C doesn't permit browsers to do what lynx is doing.
>
> Vlad, did you find some rfc or other reference about that stripping of
> blank space?  Is that supposed to be left up to the server side or cgi?
> Interested, but just haven't had the time to look it up.  Thanks for
> references.

 HTML 4.0 spec says nothing about stripping trailing white spaces. It just
says (in interact/forms.html#edef-INPUT):
----------
   The  INPUT  element's  type attribute determines which control will be
   created.

   text
          This  type  creates a single-line text box. The value submitted
          by a text control is the input text.
 Nothing is said about whether browser should or can "beatify" or "normalize"
the text that was input. I think it should be treated as "no normalization
required" or "any modification to text that was input is prohibitted". And as
I said, all browser I know of (IE, Mozilla, Netscape, Konqueror, Opera, links)
trim trailing whitespaces, so it seems to be a de-facto standartized.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad