Re: lynx-dev Javascript

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Javascript
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:33:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, David Woolley wrote:
>> Netscape handles Javascript adequately & Netscape code is now available:
>
>You mean Mozilla.
>
>> why not start by finding out how Netscape does the job,
>> then see how far Lynx could adopt the same approach?
>
>The approach would be to replace Lynx completely with a text only
>version of Mozilla.  Note that Mozilla is quite bloated already.

Wow, as a quick search to see if there were responses to this thread, I
still have letters from March 1998 from me asking about JavaScript on this
same mailing list.. heh..

Mozilla may be bloated, but having _any_ text-based browser that
supports at least some subset of JavaScript is better than having none.

As you presumably know, Mozilla apparently has separate UI and back end
portions.  So it would very likely be easier to write a text-based front end
to Mozilla than it would be to hack this into lynx.

>Also note that Mozilla suffers from standards conformance and will
>not run some Netscape 4 document/browser object model code, so some
>sites are putting up notices saying that they are not suitable for
>it.

Is someone working on fixing this?