Re: lynx-dev Re: Configuring Lynx to use OpenSSL?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Configuring Lynx to use OpenSSL?
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:40:13 -0400

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 01:18:10PM -0300, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > lynx's configure script looks for OpenSSL in the standard
> > location for that package (/usr/local/ssl).
>
> It's the standard location when you install from sources. And
> only now Linux distributions include OpenSSL.
>
> > (I'm not sure where Redhat would put it - they do have a
> > habit of changing things, and I don't have a 7.1).
>
> I thought placing anything in /usr/local was against the FHS.
> A Linux distribution shouldn't place any files in /usr/local
> , or am I mistaken ?

afaik no - the BSD's do though (lynx's configure script isn't Linux-specific).

> Slackware uses /usr/bin , /usr/lib , /usr/include , /usr/man
> , and /etc/ssl for OpenSSL, but I don't use their packages -
> my install is in /usr/local/ssl
>
> I noticed the following in Links configure.in:
>
> for ssldir in "" /usr /usr/local/openssl /usr/lib/openssl
> /usr/local/ssl /usr/local/www /usr/lib/ssl /usr/local
> /usr/pkg /opt /opt/openssl; do

I wonder how many of those are based on existing systems (/usr/local/www?)
The /usr/pkg is probably addressing the BSD's ports (though that's wasted
effort since they prefer to write their own makefiles rather than run a
configure script).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com