Re: lynx-dev Failures building 2.8.4rel.1

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Failures building 2.8.4rel.1
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:18:33 -0400

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 05:06:14PM -0700, Matt wrote:
> Actually CPPFLAGS worked fine for me.  And I was using /usr/bin/make, so I'm
> set I guess.  I used the LIBS and CPPFLAGS line from your previous message.
> I'd check to see if it worked with the default ncurses, but the load on this
> machine is far too high today.

I found one error when compiling w/o color style (I ifdef'd wresize with
the test for resizeterm -- didn't occur to me that someone would apply
half of a patch, since resizeterm and wresize are related functions: I
should know, since I wrote them).

Will try the color-style, next.  The real gotchas are problems with the
configure script (e.g., distinguishing versions of curses), rather than
adding an ifdef to cover special cases.

> Should this be added to INSTALLATION?  And is 2.8.4 now the current version?

2.8.4 is the current version - see the README in the patches directory:

We will add bug-fixes for Lynx 2.8.4 to this directory.  Bug fixes should
be limited to these categories:

        + does not build on one of the platforms to which Lynx has been ported

        + does not connect to a known "good" page (by comparison with earlier
          versions of Lynx)

        + dumps core (enough said)

I'll make a followup patch, put it in that directory.  There's also the
option (if there's a real oops) to make a rel.2 patch and update the
tarballs, but that tends to create more confusion than needed.

> http://lynx.browser.org/ still shows 2.8.3, but links to 2.8.4, as has been
> pointed out to me by numerous friends/acquaintences.  (I'm the "weird geek"
> who also happens to "not like graphics"...  ;)

yes - it's slow to get that page updated.

> And now that it works for me, is there anything I should do here to see if we
> can pin this down?

what, the build issue, or the lynx.browser.org?  (Rob Partington owns that,
and seems too busy to maintain it).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com