Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:00:33 -0400

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:01:00PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:06:45PM -0700, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > I have read the replies already posted, but none of this makes any
> > sense to me. If I understand properly, you claim that the changing
> > byte numbers at the bottom of the lynx screen take up most of your 24
> > kbps bandwidth when you are just connected by telnet or direct modem
> > connection to a linux machine running lynx. This seems impossible. It
> > wouldn't even take up most of the bandwidth on a 2400 bps connection.
>
> Perhaps an improper term{cap,lib} is forcing lynx to redraw the entire page
> each time the spinner is updated.  I just did a script of a download of a
> file that's of 58M.  The typescript file was 11K.  If I trim out all the
> non-spinner stuff, it's 4K.

The underlying problem is that the rate is repainted several times a second,
using a numeric filter to approximate the ETA value.  My original
implementation of ETA limited refreshes to once per second, but LP's
alternative was deemed better by the majority of the people on lynx-dev.  That
was a few years ago.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com