Re: lynx-dev Lynx, text areas, and long line wrapping question

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, text areas, and long line wrapping question
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:26:37 +0500 (SAMST)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

 Hi,

Disclamier: I use an old lynx-2.8.3dev.14, and didn't test new versions yet
(sorry) - so what I'm saying may be completely outdated (and not looking at
the source).

 Facts:
* There is a compile-time limit of line length in text area (approx 2k).
* lynx's asks whether to wrap lines only if textarea's content was edited in
        external editor. If you type more than 2k chars directly in lynx, lynx
        won't suggest to wrap - it will just refuse to insert more characters
        saying that line length limit is exceeded.

 Conclusion: Larry, it seems you are trying to edit textarea content in
external editor (but you didn't mention it). Yes, if you'll type very long
line in text editor, lynx will ask whether to wrap it, and if you say no and
the line was longed than 2k, it will still wrap lines at 2k unconditionally.

 The only way you can improve the situation is by recompiling lynx with higher
line length limit (dunno what #define you'll have to tweak).

 Best regards,
  -Vlad