Re: lynx-dev -post_data and cookies

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -post_data and cookies
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:45:19 +0100 (BST)

> I trying to use post_data for automatic sending of SMS through the website

( For the person that asked, SMS is "short message service", also called
text messaging.  It's a system for sending up to 160 characters to GSM
mobile phones.  It's very popular with students in the UK, as you can send
messages in class without being noticed!)

> of my mobile phone operator.  I read the previous posts on post_data usage

I would check their terms and conditions carefully.  yahoo.co.uk offer such
a service in the UK, but they take positive steps to frustrate automation
of the page because it would be valuable to SMS spammers.  Also, SMS is
a big money earner for the mobile phone companies in the UK; yahoo can
only afford to provide it because of the people it attracts to their
advertisers.

> and successfully tested the option on different sites.
>
> The problem is this: The SMS website requires me to log on every time I want
> to use the service.  I used post_data for the login form and it worked.  But
> the form for sending, where you enter the message and phone number, didn't.

This is normally because Lynx does not make session cookies persistent
across sessions (and session cookies are not supposed to persistent in
that way!), but each call in command line mode is a session.  There
may be options to make them persistent, but most people I know don't like
persistent cookies at all!  If there are, this subject has been discussed
already in the last month.