Re: lynx-dev -post_data and cookies

From: Matt
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -post_data and cookies
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, David Woolley wrote:

> > I trying to use post_data for automatic sending of SMS through the website
>
> ( For the person that asked, SMS is "short message service", also called
> text messaging.  It's a system for sending up to 160 characters to GSM
> mobile phones.  It's very popular with students in the UK, as you can send
> messages in class without being noticed!)
>
> > of my mobile phone operator.  I read the previous posts on post_data usage
>
> I would check their terms and conditions carefully.  yahoo.co.uk offer such
> a service in the UK, but they take positive steps to frustrate automation
> of the page because it would be valuable to SMS spammers.  Also, SMS is
> a big money earner for the mobile phone companies in the UK; yahoo can
> only afford to provide it because of the people it attracts to their
> advertisers.

At least here in the States, most SMS phones have email addresses associated
with them. For example, my carrier (Cingular) offers an email address at <11
digit phone #>@mobile.mycingular.com which works great for me. You may want to
see if you can get something like that. (Even for an additional monthly fee...
It's well worth it.)

--Matt